- Tomato and Mozzarella Bites See More Appetizers
Key West Chicken
See More BBQ Recipes
- Tropical Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette See More Salad Recipes
- Dave's Ultimate Guacamole See More Dips
- Easy Raspberry Lemonade Punch See More Drinks
See More Desserts
- Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches See More Sandwiches
- Dill, Feta and Garlic Cream Cheese Spread See More Spreads
How To Videos
Enjoying the beautiful weather and the company of friends is what barbecues and pool parties are all about. However, a few fun activities for guests of all ages can certainly liven things up. Here are some ideas that will keep your company entertained and make your summer party a memorable event:
- Set up a fun yard game like horseshoes, croquet or badminton and have prizes for the winners.
- Hold a three-legged race. To make it especially interesting, pair adults with kids and watch as hilarity ensues.
- A water balloon toss is an exciting game for kids and adults and helps to beat the heat — unless guests are particularly skillful.
- Roast marshmallows and make s'mores for an activity that doubles as dessert.
Kick it up a notch and hold your own barbecue sauce competition by having your guests bring their own homemade sauces. Pick a couple of guests who fancy themselves BBQ experts and have a taste test to see whose sauce reigns supreme.
A few simple touches can give your backyard BBQ a lively atmosphere. The classic red-and-white checkered tablecloths are synonymous with BBQs. You can also line walkways with votives or river stones and drape a little red and white crepe paper along low-lying tree branches. Hanging white twinkle lights on fences or patio railings provides great ambience when the sun begins to set.
If there's room, set up a tent or canopy, or encircle a table with netting to create a graceful buffet area. For some added flare, incorporate a fire pit or chiminea, which are perfect for adding light in the evening as well as for roasting marshmallows.
If guests are coming early to lounge poolside, get creative. Dress up your pool by surrounding it with inflatable palm trees and tiki statues. Let your guests lounge around in style by positioning chaise lounge chairs around the pool, covering each chair with a brightly colored towel for added comfort. To give your guests a place to put drinks and snacks, put side tables next to each chair. Place waterproof disposable cameras and bottles of sunscreen on each table for guests to use.
Hang lanterns across the pool and over your tables for extra color. Citronella tiki torches serve double duty, giving both a festive flair and keeping any bugs away.
When decorating for your pool party, don't forget about the pool itself! Cover the pool surface with rubber duckies and balloons. When the sun starts to set, let floating candles set sail across your calm pool waters to brighten up the entire pool area.
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 1 oz blue curacao
- 1/3 cup lemonade
Fill a tall glass with ice. Add vodka, blue curacao and lemonade. Stir to mix.
Non-alcoholic — Iced tea, fresh fruit smoothies and cucumber-and-lemon spa water