Summer Entertaining Guide Back to Salad
Quinoa and Black Beans View next recipe »
"Very flavorful alternative to black beans and rice. Quinoa is a nutty grain from South America."
Recipe Provided by allrecipes.com
- Prep Time 15 Minutes
- Cook Time 35 Minutes
- Ready In 50 Minutes
- Serves 10
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 0.8 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 0.2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 0.5 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- 2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- 3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories 142 | Total Fat 1.7g | Saturated Fat 0.2g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 467mg | Carbohydrates 25.6g | Fiber 6.9g | Protein 6.9g