Summer Entertaining Guide Back to Entree
Slow Cooker Carnitas View next recipe »
"Carnitas means 'little meats' and is traditionally fried then braised. This recipe is made much easier using the slow cooker but the results are just as tasty. This makes a great filling for tamales, enchiladas, tacos and burritos. This filling is also great combined with your favorite barbecue sauce and served on buns."
Recipe Provided by allrecipes.com
- Prep Time 10 Minutes
- Cook Time 10 Hours
- Ready In 10 Hours 10 Minutes
- Serves 10
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 0.5 teaspoon ground coriander
- 0.2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1. Mix together salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and cinnamon in a bowl. Coat pork with the spice mixture. Place the bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top. Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture.
- 2. Cover and cook on Low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 10 hours. Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5 hours. When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker, and shred with two forks. Use cooking liquid as needed to moisten the meat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories 223 | Total Fat 13.9g | Saturated Fat 5g | Cholesterol 74mg | Sodium 510mg | Carbohydrates 0.7g | Fiber 0.2g | Protein 22.3g